Set texts for Cambridge English: First for Schools and Cambridge English: Advanced examinations
Set texts for Cambridge English: First for Schools until December 2012:
- William Shakespeare: Macbeth (The ELT Graphic Novel, Heinle Cengage Learning)
- Joe Simpson: Touching the Void (Macmillan or any edition)
Set texts for Cambridge English: First for Schools until December 2013:
- Mary Shelley: Frankenstein The ELT Graphic Novel (HEINLE Cengage)
- Anthony Bourke & John Rendall:A lion called Christian (Scholastic)
The texts are Graded Readers which have been adapted to the level and are suitable for FCE for Schools candidates. Other editions of these books may be available. However, teachers and candidates should be aware that the language level and treatment of the topic in other editions may be less accessible.
Set texts for Cambridge English: Advanced: One or both of the following texts may be read as preparation for the two optional set text tasks:
- William Golding: Lord of the Flies
(Teachers may choose to prepare candidates for questions on this set text by studying a film version as well as, or instead of, the novel.)
- P D James: The Lighthouse
(There is currently no film version of this book.)
Candidates should not attempt the optional set text question in Part 2 unless they have the necessary vocabulary and understanding of the text to answer the task set. Teachers are best placed to judge which, if any, of the set texts and/or film versions may be appropriate and stimulating for a given teaching situation.